Friday, October 14, 2011

The 99% vs. Citizens United

I will consider corporations people when they can be drafted, sent overseas, and put their lives on the line daily to fight in the wars their greed has created. I will consider corporations people when they can be jailed, imprisoned, or face the death penalty for their crimes. I will consider corporations people when they know what hunger is, and how to feed their families on minimum wage. I will consider them people when they are forced to watch their children, brothers, mothers, and friends slowly die from diseases that access to health care could have prevented. I will consider them people when they must watch their children attend underfunded, broken, and dilapidated schools while schools across town are equipped with the best teachers, new buildings, and the latest technology. I will consider them people when they are called pariah, raccoons, and lazy free riders for going bankrupt and getting bailed out on the taxpayer’s dollar. I will consider corporations people when they show compassion to their workers, a truly human emotion, instead of exploiting them for their own gain. I will consider them people when they know what it truly means to be powerless; to not have a voice. I will consider corporations people when they stop privatizing their profits, but nationalizing their costs; expecting American citizens to clean up their pollution, abandoned cities, and waste. I will consider corporations people when they are expected to act as ethically and financially responsible as we, the 99%, are all expected to act.

No comments:

Post a Comment